Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Last Supper and Chocolate Syrup

Tedtalks is, to the intellectual community, as Mecca is to Muslims. (Can I make that comparison? Was that okay? If you knew what happened to me today in my Women in Islam class you'd understand my baditude right now... theology is tricky and people are too personally invested in it to have an academic/postmodern discourse....anyways...)

Once a year 1,000 intellectuals in the areas of technology, entertainment, or design come together and give 20 minute lectures in their specific areas of expertise.

What instantly drew me to the artist Vik Muniz was the fact that he was shot, and then he used the money that he bargained from the shooter to come to America. Essence of smoothness.

What I find most interesting about his work is his choice of materials, and the baggage that comes with using those materials. He explains it more in his book, but the lecture is good as well. Watch this shit!
<3 Julez

1 comment:

STRICTLY NASTY: said...

uh, how cam we become this guy's friend?